Sunday, October 17, 2010

Power Hour

So I have designed a new time management technique - the Power Hour. Here's the deal:

Instead of doing one thing at a time, I break all the things I need to do into many small pieces. So for example, instead of saying, read 50 pages tonight in my textbook, I'll say, read 10 pages this HOUR.

Then I include a bunch of other stuff that I need to get done. For example, the first power hour I had today, I applied to 1 job, studied 2 pages of review for my class, wrote 4 measures of music, sent out sheet music, looked at research on currencies, read a chinese article, and sent a friend a message. True, each individual task was quite easy, but in the end I felt like I got more done during that 1 hour than I sometimes do in one entire day.

So essentially, the whole point of the Power Hour is that it makes you really motivated. You see a list of 7-10 EASY tasks to finish (that you basically told yourself, just do this little, and you'll be good). Note: this time management technique won't exactly help you when you're in the deadline for something big, like a midterm, where you need to really bog down and study for 3-4 hours. But if you instead do a bunch of power hours that include a little bit of studying during the times when you have a lot of free time - they can really add up.

So Power Hours are not just a time-management tool - they're a life-management tool. Instead of trying to fix yourself up with an insane schedule, instead, plan a couple of power-hours per day, and see how that works.

No comments:

Post a Comment