Friday, September 17, 2010

Games... the horror!

As any male of the Y generation knows, computer gaming is the MOST interesting you can do by yourself. And with the inception of online gaming (since 1995), playing with other people on games such as World of Warcraft, Ultima Online, Everquest, Starcraft, etc, can be fun and eternally addicting.

When I was little I remember, being obsessed with a few different games. Pokemon, Age of Empires (1), these bubble-shooting games, this game called Oregon Trail (not the "you have died of dysentry" one, but the later version), as well as a few others I can't remember. Wow, those first early games weren't addicting, but they introduced me into the world of...

Starcraft. That's the first game that addicted me. At first, it was my cousin who played - and I loved watching him play. I thought it was so interesting, especially building the bases. When I was at my cousin's place I would frequently wake up very early in the morning just to watch him play. I didn't want to play myself, it seemed too hard.

Later though, I begin playing so much during the early 2000's. I played Counterstrike for a long time as well. Anything that was online, I played - Warcraft 3 (though not as extensively, since I wasn't very good at it). Oh, let's not forget the video games - I played Super Smash Brothers extensively, as well as a bunch of other games - Super Mario Sunshine, Final Fantasy X and XII, Magic The Gathering, and... other games I can't remember.

Then came Puzzle Pirates. Does anyone even know this game? It's a free online MMORPG that I tried in 2005... and wow, it took over my life for 2 years! I became captain of the largest crew in the "ocean," went frequently on "pillages" and was up all night. Sometimes my internet would break down and I would freak out because if I wasn't online, our ship would lose a TON of money. These were the days when I would go to sleep at around 5:00 in the morning, and wake up at 7 to go to school...

And then, came World of Warcraft. Wow. WOW. I was literally stuck in that world for another 2 years, although I did take a break in the middle from 2007 summer to 2008 summer. But for about a year I played WOW almost non-stop, first as a troll shaman, then as a gnome mage. Honestly I was never that good at it... but everyone knows that once you get addicted to something... you keep playing.

Heh. Now, I'm enraptured by another game. League of Legends. It's crazy fun. I was up until 4 last night playing it. Is it my fate to be playing these games for the rest of my life? Are these games the reason why I haven't achieved my dreams, and gotten good grades in school? If you asked my parents, they probably will say yes.
If you play games right now... no matter which one... just try and control yourself. Every morning I wake up, I get urges to just flip open the computer and game all day. It took a lot of self-control and discipline for me to come to work. But at least it's a step in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment