Friday, September 17, 2010

Writing is fun. But what is more fun? Music.

I've already posted 3 posts today, and I'm going to keep posting. As I stated before, writing really works the mind. It forces me to focus my thoughts, develop them, and conceive them in a way that is clear and understandable.

For example, let's talk about my favorite subject - MUSIC. Usually, my mind is simply shooting off in a million different directions when I think about music. One really weird thing about me is that I don't listen to other people's music. While I do enjoy the occasional hip-hop song now and then, I find that the silence of my mind is much better company. Instead of listening to music, my mind will play back something that is both completely new, and sounds good enough for me to be satisfied. And sometimes my fingers will move along with that music... it is an eternal song, always playing, fading when I am focused on something else (such as writing, right now), but coming back full force when I am resting.

Music, in my opinion, should be meaningful. Meaningful - it's a vague definition - but it's the way I think music should be. It should also be understandable. And finally, beautiful. The combination of these three concepts means that the music can be enjoyed by the audience, no matter what style it is. Meaningful music can always find a place in this world - just look at the recent popularity in film score music. Understandable - the modern hip-hop, pop, rap, club music, they are all extremely understandable, and popular. Finally, beautiful - of course, it has to sound good.

So how do you sound good? First, you want the best instruments. Whether it's a voice, or a classical piano, or an electric guitar, it has to be tuned to perfection. The sound recording systems have to all be top notched. In fact, if you get the preparation to be top-notch, no matter what you record, it will sound good, I guarantee you.

Next, is the technique. I have a problem that is common among many piano amateurs - I bang too much. "Banging"- an unfortunately named term for when piano players do not relax their arms, and instead of playing firmly with their fingers, start using arm strength to max out the magnitude of the sound.

This unfortunately produces a rather unpleasant, sharp sound that is distasteful to the ear. Instead, use firm fingers, relax your arms, and let your music guide your body, not the other way around.


No comments:

Post a Comment