Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Video Game Addiction

Today I was reading this book called "Unplugged: My Journey into the Dark World of Video Game Addiction," in which the author, Ryan Van Cleave, talks about his experiences playing World of Warcraft.

As I used to play World of Warcraft with the same addiction that he did, I wanted to read this book because sometimes reading about other people's experiences is easier than coping with your own. I am struggling with the addiction to another game right now - League of Legends, which unfortunately, is just as fun and exciting as WoW.

Even as I write this right now, I'm still thinking about, how to build my latest favorite champion. I have uninstalled and reinstalled this game countless times over the past few weeks - every day I wake up wanting to play again - I reinstall it, and then, after hours and hours of continuous playing, I feel terrible, and before I go to sleep, I uninstall it.

Unfortunately for me, it's too easy to reinstall. So I keep going back to it, despite hating myself and telling myself, no, don't go back.

Video Game Addiction is like drug addiction. So many people have compared games like World of Warcraft to crack. But here's the difference between the two: World of Warcraft, and other games, are easier to get. And even better - they're not illegal.

Meaning, to get crack, you're constantly under the pressure of having to shell out more money, get caught by the police, face family and societal pressures, etc. With WoW and LoL, all you have to do is pay 15$ a month (or in LoL's case, it's free), and it's completely legal. It's even encouraged by some of your friends and family who think it's a cheap way to spend a night (rather than dump 25$ to go to a bar and get drunk).

Unfortunately, these video games turn you into a monster. They turn you into less than a human being - where you begin to care about nothing else in life except for these games. That is the exact same thing that the drugs do to you, yet this is not drugs, this is a computer game.

So I am ashamed. I feel ashamed to talk to my friends, to talk to my family, because I feel like I'm inadequate. I have struggled with video game addiction for the past 10 years of my life. From Starcraft to World of Warcraft to Puzzle Pirates to Counterstrike to Final Fantasy, unfortunately, when I start playing a video game, I forget about all my relationships in life. I begin to treat that video game as the most important relationship in my life.

This period of time is the most critical for me. As I have stated before, I am trying to find a full-time job for next year. But how can I find such a job if all I am focused on all day is how to defeat the next team in LoL?

No comments:

Post a Comment