Friday, September 17, 2010

The rich-poor gap

I've been blessed. You've been blessed. The fact that we're able to be on the internet right now posting our own thoughts, means that we are more blessed than 60% of the world right now, who don't have access to internet, who don't have access to computers and other luxuries that we take for granted.

I'm always dogged by seeing poor people on the street in NYC. It's like thinking, wow, what if I were in his/her shoes? When someone asks me for money, I always feel terrible not giving them any (because I am quite poor myself). But I want to give them money. I want to give every beggar I see something.

I think about the people in Africa and Asia, some people who do not know whether their next meal will come or not. Well, in a lot of places economic growth has really been recovering, but regardless, it's still weird seeing someone who you know has never flown on a plane in their entire life. Imagine that, being stuck in one place for your entire life... it's depressing to say the least.

Sometimes the fortunes of other people in America itself makes me feel bad. People who lose their loved ones, their children, their friends, their homes, etc, they have suffered misfortune and I feel bad as a result. A lot of people equate suffering with the fact that "God" does not care about us, but I don't think that's the case. The reason why suffering is so prevalent among everyone is because our expectations are too high.

We frequently see media portray life as some kind of party, where everyday is filled with all the pleasures of the world. Unfortunately, when we see our real life, we feel depressed that it does not mimic that of the media world. In that regard - I feel less bad for the people in Africa and Asia, than I feel for the poor people living in America. Why? Because those in the poor countries usually are not subject to this sort of mental torture - seeing someone live a life you wish you had - and they cherish their lives. They are much happier because of it.

Meanwhile, in the "land of opportunity," it's always a question of, am I doing better than that guy? Am I succeeding? Am I happy? These kind of questions are some of the most depressing questions, because the answers are rarely positive. Instead, why can't we focus on "am I taking care of my family?" Or "Am I being a good person?" These kinds of questions are much better, and will make you happier if you focus on them.

So the rich-poor gap may be there, but guess what, it actually doesn't mean that much. People's happiness is not dependent on their money, but rather on their expectations. How they manage those expectations will determine how amazing their lives are.

And everyone's life is amazing. Let's just face it. It's a magical thing to be alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment